top of page
Kari randonnée au dessus d'un fjord
  • Writer's picture Kari & Jonathan


We planned our first ski-pulka expedition with the arrival of our new pulkas, and we were going for 8 days and 7 nights. We spent so much time preparing all the equipment and the food. We also brought back-up equipment and extra food in case of. We were well prepared and so ready to get started.

What a powder in our first tracks! We zigzagged between the trees, looking for the best way forward. The first part was climbing, and even though the slopes were not too steep, the weight of the pulkas and the fresh snow required some energy and strenght.

We loved the feeling of making our own way, of being alone in the wild and feeling the cold on our faces. At one point, we reached a river where we had to take precautions when crossing. And somehow the snow conditions completely changed on the other side. We were more or less stuck in the snow, and pulling the pulkas became extremely heavy. We pushed through, hoping that the conditions would be easier further up the mountain.

We even had to install a system of ropes to a tree to be able to pull the pulkas up with the help of a pulley. The snow conditions were just horrible. We realized that we had not gotten very far within our 6 hours of effort. We had only covered a lousy 5 kilometers. The dark started to come and we decided to install the camp.

To our surprise, our dear fuel burner broke down. It simply did not function. Prepared as we were, we had packed a back-up gas burner that we had to pick up from the back of the pulka. Unfortunately, the -25°C made it impossible to melt enough snow for water and food with the gas burner. It was too cold.

The disappointment was huge. We discussed back and forth what to do, before we decided to give it another try the day after. We wanted to find a solution for both the food and water situation, but also the snow conditions. We did not want to give up.

We ate some cold food and decided to enjoy the moment of the night anyway. We were blessed with a sky filled with stars and northern lights, and after a good night sleep in the tent, we woke up to a wonderful sunrise.

Even though our bellies were empty, our hearts were full as we started to walk. We quickly realized that the snow conditions were as bad, if not worse, than the day before. We had to throw in the towel. Without a functioning fuel burner and the possibility to advance reaching acceptable distances a day, we had to make the hard decision to turn and go back. One thing is for sure, we will come back for a longer stay another time.


Commenting has been turned off.
bottom of page